Saturday, December 11, 2010

Writing Prompts

I have decided to look up writing prompts (one a day) and then write about it here. Here's my first one: Taken from www.creativewritingprompts.com

Close your eyes briefly. Think of one object that's in the room and focus on it. Without opening your eyes, recall as much detail as you can about it. After 3 minutes or so, open your eyes and write about that object witout looking at it.


A wooden rocking chair with yellow cushions.

That chair used to be in my grandparent's house and has just lately taken up residence in my own home. I remember walking into my grandparent's house and seeing my Aunt Margie sitting there smiling at me as I entered. She would always ask me what song I've learned in music class and I would sing it to her.

My grandmother had knee surgery last month and my parents took out my Aunt Margie's chair to make room for a lift chair. When they asked me if I wanted it, I almost screamed my answer. Now, my son, who, incidently, shares my Aunt Margie's birthday, my husband and myself have the great pleasure of seeing that chair every time we come in the living room. Although, my son and husband do not get nearly as much pleasure of seeing it as I do, but I do plan on telling my son the history of that chair and the connection he has with the woman who always occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment